Thursday 11 May 2017

Defence Academy Friends and Family (DAFFY's)

The second workshop based in the Jubilee Centre I didn't really know what to expect, it seemed to be all staff at first. This was a long session it turned out to be about 5 hours but on a very relaxed drop in basis. When mothers had picked their children up from school people started coming in. Mothers with school children, toddlers and babies as well.

This was different set up. The map was layed out on the floor and people were very happy to lay down on their stomachs and draw their hearts out in quick fire short sharp pockets of time between demanding baby needs. Drawings came out in bursts.


working with Mum
The room provided was large and it was big enough for me to play football with some of the children who's concentration was wandering. We did hit a baby or two with the football, all was well very light ball. Having been a dad once I figured I could occupy a baby with a bean bag for a short spell....nope....I was a MONSTER and I want my Mum now. Had to give baby back to mum after less than a minute!


baby eats pencil rubber


babies back at home with Dad now - back for part two

Someone labelling their drawing, sort of commentating about their own work out loud, stated 'can you move this annoying lorry'. Everyone in the room burst out laughing and it was explained to me lorry drivers sleep in their vehicles on a particular stretch of road making it hard for residents to manoeuvre their cars in and out of the turning to their houses. This started a wave of observations about village life which was very entertaining and on the map for all to see.


can you move that annoying lorry?
  
what colour was the ice cream van?

I really enjoyed working with this group they got into a place where they worked, laughed,
 
told stories and commentated on the village life in a way that I had not predicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment