Thursday 11 May 2017

Initial Workshops

The programme of workshops with various community groups has started this week. I have now returned home after several days in Watchfield after a few full on few days.

The first group I worked with are called Root and Branch who provide activities that promote recovery for people who experience mental health difficulties. I introduced myself and what the project aimed to do and there was a group of four or five of us talking and chatting about the Faringdon Folly and the coloured doves famous in the town! Pink, yellow all colours made from vegetable dye so as not to harm the birds.

People were very happy drawing, I was relieved as the blank canvas thing can be intimidating.

Horse drawn from memory with no reference material 

 
Amazing drawing of the horse owned by my new friend and they then went onto plot a ride around the town they had recently been on. Drawing from memory and imagination.
I made a second new friend who re-visited her old childhood adventures around the Becket House Grounds, amongst grave stones of family matriarchs beloved dogs, burned to death in a terrible fire! (must get to the bottom of that story? ). So we have Becket House and the China House a bridge a lake all remembered from playing there as a child. Including a den in the woods.


drawing from childhood memories
I drew a few doves and blackbirds as another half remembered story about 24 blackbirds the ones in the song 'baked in a pie' came up again related to Faringdon? (follow that up as well next week). So all in all a fine start and I'm looking forward to continuing with this group next time. I will work on their contributions and see if they continue or whether they start a new stories.

The place here is interesting - woodwork shop - forge and metal working facilities as well as some kind of funeral stone cutting and preparations. I will have to have a closer look next week. Next door is a natural burial ground its an interesting place to work with cows in very close proximity over the back fence!


the cows wanted to check me out for certain

  

No comments:

Post a Comment